Thursday, March 31st, 2016
IBF World Bantamweight Champion Lee Haskins will make his first title defence against Mexico's Ivan Morales at the Ice Arena Wales in Cardiff on Saturday, May 14.
Announced today at a press conference at the SS Great Britain, the Bristolian will face the younger brother of Mexican legend Erik Morales live on Channel 5.
The fight will be the first to be staged at the recently developed Ice Arena Wales, home to the Cardiff Devils Ice Hockey team. Welsh boxers Craig Kennedy and Andrew Selby also feature on an undercard put together by Barry McGuigan's Cyclone Promotions alongside Haskin's management team of Chris and Jamie Sanigar.
Haskins has had a lengthy break from action following his sixth-round stoppage of Japan's Ryosuke Iwasa last June to lift the interim IBF Bantamweight title, picking up the full title later in the year with former champion Randy Caballero unable to make the weight prior to their proposed bout in Las Vegas.
One of a number of current World champions from Britain, the 32-year-old boasts a career record of 32 wins from 35 fights and will face the winner of Stuart Hall v Rodrigo Guerrero should he get past his Mexican opponent in Cardiff.
Who is Ivan Morales?
- Born October 9th 1991
- Younger brother of Mexican legend Erik Morales - Morales became the first Mexican-born boxer in history to win world titles in four different weight classes, and cemented his legend with incredible trilogies with Marco Antonio Barrera and Manny Pacquiao.
- Professional record of 29 wins (17 KOs) and 1 loss
- Made his professional debut in December 2009 - knocking out Cristian Zavala
- Has only ever fought in Mexico or the US
- His only loss came to fellow Mexican Edgar Jiminez last August
- All but one of his career opponents have been South American
Watch out for an interview with Lee Haskins on Bristol Sport TV tonight.