The slam-dunk community event will be followed by food, drinks, networking and the chance to watch the first team train later in the evening.
The event will see corporate partners from the Foundation’s Nascence Project take to the court, with the tournament led by the Bristol Flyers Community coaching team, with assistance from some of the first team players.
All proceeds from the tournament will go to the Bristol Flyers Community department and will be used to fund a basketball competition for children in primary schools throughout Greater Bristol, in areas of high deprivation.
Eight local and national businesses are set to go head-to-head in the festival – here’s who’s taking part in the inaugural event:
SGS College is the home of the Bristol Flyers who play in the British Basketball League. Please be advised of the following venue details:
- Getting to SGS WISE Campus: Please CLICK HERE to be taken to a google map of the location so that you can plan your journey.
- Parking: there is paid parking on site. Please use the parking machines provided.
- Arrival time: please arrive at 4:10pm ready for a prompt start.
- Food and drink: a light buffet and a post-tournament drink is included and there will be a cash bar after the event should you wish to purchase more. Please send through any dietary requirements at your earliest convenience.
- Changing rooms: will be provided with exact timings and rooms dictated on the night.
- Supporters: if you are planning to bring anybody along they can watch from the balcony and the cash bar will be open for them to spectate with a cold one in hand.
- Squads to consist of a maximum of eight players, with five players on the court at any one time. Each team must have at least one woman playing at all times.
- To keep you occupied before matches start we will be running an ‘NBA style skills challenge’ for your team to compete in.
- Team colours will be allocated prior to the event and all players should wear sports tops of the nominated colour for their games. Please let us know if you have a kit colour in mind.
- Non-marking trainers to be worn.
- No jewellery is allowed.
- Each team will be allocated a Bristol Flyers player as team coach for the duration of the tournament to help where needed.
- There will be a short coaching clinic at the beginning of the tournament from the Bristol Flyers Community coaching team, going through the rules of the games and tips on how to shoot, dribble and pass and a chance to practice your skills.
- All games will be refereed. The referee’s decision is final.
- All teams will be placed in a ‘pool’ and will play all other teams in their pool at least once in short format games.
- Teams will be awarded one point for a loss and three points for a win. If the score is tied at the end of the game, then each team member will shoot a free throw, the first team to score will win the game.
- Winners of each ‘pool’ will go through to a knock out competition to determine the overall tournament winner.
As an extra added treat, the Bristol Flyers are offering you the chance to watch their training session from 8pm as they prepare for their big game against Newcastle Eagles. This is a great opportunity to witness a private training session and to find out how the team prepare. Want to see what the Flyers are about? Check this out
We would love for you to share your experiences and photos with us on social media using the #Nascence and tagging @BSFound on Twitter and Bristol Sport Foundation on Facebook and LinkedIn.