The 16-year-old Bristol Sport Racing star made up 15 places in the second race at Silverstone in an impressive display of pace and skill.

It allowed him to finish the weekend in a positive mood after the disappointment of a DNF in the first race.

With the third race abandoned after torrential rain, it left the ADD Motorsports-supported driver in seventh place in the standings – despite having not entered two race weekends due to other commitments.

He said: “I was really pleased to get second place from where I started. I had taken four people by turn one and six by the end of the first lap.

“Then I just tried to pick them off when I could with a few good manoeuvres around the outside.

“I got into second, but didn’t have the chance to really get at the leader as there was a safety car.

“I was pretty disappointed after making a mistake in the first race that led to my DNF, but it was a good way to come back and finish the weekend off.”

While Lando was pacey in practice, he found some extra speed by the time qualifying came round to finish third.

Starting third in race one, he was up to second straight away. But after the introduction of the safety car when he was close to half way round, the race was restarted.

This time, it took him a little longer to push into second, but just two laps later he made a mistake running too wide at an exit and hitting a kerb, which threw the car in the air and into a wall, damaging the suspension and ending his race.

With the reverse grid in race two, it meant the Somerset racer would start at the back of the grid.

But he was quickly into his stride from the start, taking four places by the first corner and another by turn two.

He then quickly and expertly made his way through the field, amazingly getting into second place by the half-way point.

Frustratingly, the safety car stopped Lando from making a move on the leader –  and with the damaged car taking too long to be retrieved from the gravel, the race did not restart, meaning the racer finished in second place.

Unfortunately, the third race was abandoned due to torrential rain and thunderstorms.

He added: “We were really fast this weekend, so it was a little frustrating to push a bit too hard in the first race which led to the crash and not get the chance to take a podium.

“But I could leave pretty happy after the performance in race two. To gain 15 places so quickly was pleasing and if the race had gone on until the end, I might have had a chance of making a move for first.

“There’s lots of races left, so hopefully I can keep working hard and moving up the standings when I can.”